A revolution in your moving and thinking!
- Transform your movement by removing habitual blocks and frictions.
- Invigorate your week with new ideas in your moving and thinking (in-person or online).
- Astonish your inventive self by activating your innate sense of curiosity.
- Exercise your right to be able to move as freely and easily as you can!
I have been teaching Feldenkrais® since 1999. I currently teach in-person in Edinburgh and Manningtree. Online, my students have come from all over the World. I am based at Studio 6.27, St Margaret’s House, Edinburgh, EH7 6AE. More about me here.
How it is done.
- Awareness Through Movement® – group
- Functional Awareness (non-touch version of Functional Integration®) – one-to-one
Just to say again how much I am loving the sessions and finding them really beneficial. As we build up the movement towards the end I just find it so ‘voluptuous’ (Strange word maybe but that’s how it feels!). All the work recently on the upper ribs and neck have really sensitised me to this area and how ‘dead’ it was before.JG, Isle of Arran
Let the calm of simple curiosity descend all around you. In this quiet place, accompanied by my voice, you will discover new parts and capabilities of your personal real-estate – curling, folding, opening, twisting, turning and reaching. You will encounter ways of doing and being that you might not have experienced since you were ever-so-young and in the process of building knowledge about your world for the first time. This is the perfect place to explore rebuilding your world.
By the end of a class, it is very often the case that some deep changes have occurred. Our explorations together will have changed your breathing, your balance, your speaking, your looking, your touching. You will be in the here-and-now of re-imagining, perhaps re-organising, your relationship to the world around you of things, people and happenings. Your image of yourself – the way you describe yourself to yourself – will have begun to alter.
The more you experience the unique and highly personal environment that Feldenkrais creates around and within you, the more your own voice becomes available for you to hear once again. Each class is different, starting with a focus in one area of your body. By the end your whole self is in movement.
In-person and online classes each week will follow a broad movement theme, set at the beginning of the term. The approach of each individual session differs from group to group as I adapt to a new assembly of individuals. This means that if you were to chose to do three classes in one week, for example, you would experience the same material from very different perspectives – further extending the range of your thinking and moving.
If change has occurred, even for a fleeting but visible second, then your nervous system has registered the fact that change is possible. This process of active noticing of change is quite simply revolutionary. You have with your own – your very own -abilities altered your way of responding to the world you live in.
A window is opened on a world of limitless adaptation – a world that many of us haven’t experienced since we were seven or eight years old.
Below you can find the times and locations of my current online and in-person offers:
- My bank details are at the bottom of the page.
- All sessions are payable in advance.
AWARENESS THROUGH MOVEMENT®
Online classes 05 sept to 15 dec 2023
- Tuesday Evenings 6.00 – 7.00pm
- Thursday Mornings 10.30 – 11.30am
£40 per package of four classes
This entitles you to attend any online class during the four-week period. You will receive recordings each week as part of your package, which allows you to attend the class in your own time, should you be unable to make the class time. Recordings count as classes.
At the end of every four week period, I will deposit the recordings on my Patreon site, where you can also find a library of past recordings. Access to this site will cost you the group membership rate of £5 per month.
If it is possible for you, please set up a regular online payment that renews every four weeks, and which you can cancel at any time:
Co-operative Bank/08-92-49/04394550/Alan G Wilson. Please create a ref: yournameFK
- Please buy in advance of class, if you possibly can.
- If you can, please let me know which class you intend to come to.
- If no-one shows up within 10 mins of a class time, I will abandon the session.
- I will record at least on of the online classes each week and send this out to you at the end of the week.
- When you buy your first package I will send you the Zoom link.
- My email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Online classes via zoom – in defence and praise!
Zoom classes in The Feldenkrais Method® are doing something that is more profound than many of us expected. The aim of a class is to return you to your everyday life somehow changed, more resilient, more aware of who you are and how you do you.
In your own space, which you can configure to your own comfort, you begin to go very deep into your experience of yourself. You become deeply interested in yourself. As you open your eyes again after a class, in your own space, you are able to notice how possible it is to experience your living differently.
Moshe Feldenkrais’s ideas and inspirations help you tell the the true story of yourself to yourself.
So, why not come along:
- clear a you-shaped space where you can lie on the floor, have a towel handy that can become a pad to support your head,
- wear something easy to move in and that can keep you warm if you need it,
- angle your camera so that I can see you well to enough to adapt my guidance.
Payment details can be found by scrolling down to the bottom of this page.
IN PERSON CLASSES
Autumn Term 2023
13 Sept – 13 Dec (14 weeks)
10.30 – 12 noon.
St Margaret’s House,
151 London Road,
Edinburgh, EH7 6ae
If you haven’t experienced the special atmosphere of an in-person Feldenkrais® class come along and try it out. You won’t be disappointed!
The movement processes of Feldenkrais® respect your body where it is, bring improved and deepened awareness to what you are already doing, then begin to expand and enhance your capabilities.
You do not have to prior movement skills to explore and benefit from Feldenkrais®. Whatever movement discipline you engage with, or whatever use you put your body to will be enhanced by slow, patient time spent understanding how to create, ease, flow, extension and calm confidence in your moving. Feldenkrais® can help you find solutions to nagging issues in your everyday movement. Moshe Feldenkrais suggests that by spending time doing less in this way we achieve more.
The secret to getting more out of your moving body is to refine your ability to observe yourself in action and to throw off the restrictions that life and living places upon you. Your own self has the possibility to astonish you with its hidden potential – whatever your life has been up to this point.
By the end of five sessions, you will have a very much richer sense of how you, personally, move. By the end of term, you will be noticing some profound changes in how you adapt to your world.
Studio 602 is a rather special place – quiet, nurturing, comfortable and dedicated to the kind of exploring that Feldenkrais® represents. Here you can retreat a little from the city and explore new ideas in a friendly space.
- £120 for full course of 14 weeks (£8.60 per class)
- £70 for a block of 7 weeks
- £12 Drop-in.
I AM COMMITTED TO OFFERING CONCESSIONS:
Low Income/visible or invisible disability/ in receipt of State Benefit.
Please contact me to talk about this.
Studio 6.27, St Margaret’s House, 151 London Road, Edinburgh, EH7 6AE
Cost: £55 per session, bookable in advance. Payment in advance following the instructions below.
Functional Integration® is the one-to-one technique of Feldenkrais®. It is used to identify and work with specific questions and challenges you might be experiencing in your moving self.
During an FI® session you lie on a low, wide and long table, fully dressed in comfortable clothing. In some cases, you lie on the floor, or sit in a chair.
An initial conversation with you concerning the pattern of needs and concerns that brought you to me in the first place, will allow us to establish a beginning plan.
Then, using calm and non-invasive touch, I will gently guide your body through sequences of movement. Occasionally I will ask you to participate in movements.
You will be fully clothed, fully conscious and aware of what is to happen.
- Functional Integration® is not a medical procedure. It is an intensive process of co-learning between you and the practitioner, through which new possibilities and solutions emerge for you in your moving and thinking. My work with you is based on supporting you to develop more detailed knowledge about how your moving and thinking deal with the physical challenges you identify. Expect changes.
The benefits of Functional Integration® build up. You will always feel calm and easy, but I recommend that you consider signing up for a minimum of five sessions. By the end of this sequence your nervous system will have built up a store of memories that allow the insights from our sessions to begin to establish themselves in your daily life. The aim is to build confidence in your resilience to the many destabilising things that the world can throw at you.
- For an excellent appraisal of the pervasive ways in which Functional Integration® operates check out the chapter on Moshe Feldenkrais’s work in the excellent book The Brain That Changes Itself by the champion of the idea of neuroplasticity, Norman Doidge M.D., https://www.normandoidge.com/?page_id=1259. It used to be thought that after the age of 21 our brain cells begin to die off and that our moving and thinking was therefore fixed and unchangeable as we aged. This has of course been totally disproved in many, many reports. Doidge outlines the excitement of discovering that your brain is near-limitless in its potential to rewire, reform and rebuild.
In many cases, people complete a ‘course’ of FI® and go on to attend Awareness Through Movement® classes to continue exploring by themselves.
Feldenkrais can bring about deep changes in the way that you relate both to yourself and to the world around you. You progressively give yourself permission to carry on exploring, in often quite unexpected ways.
- Session 1a: detailed conversation around your particular needs and wishes concerning your moving being. We note any important events in your past that have affected your moving and your ambitions for your moving. This will lead to an agreement between us about how to proceed.
- Session 1b: Based on our conversation, we embark on a journey. The Method has a philosophy of progressive approximation as you and I move towards a greater sense of integration of your movement with what you wish to achieve. The process of removing restrictions and obstacle to free movement takes time, discussion, play and patience.
- Sessions 2 to 5: as your nervous system becomes familiar with the approach and the environment of FI®, the sessions become increasingly focused on the needs and concerns that brought you to me.
IN-PERSON CONSULTATION TIMETABLE
Edinburgh – Studio 6.27, St Margaret’s House, EH7 6AE – by appointment
- Tuesdays 2 – 3.30 pm & 4 – 5.30 pm
- Wednesdays 3 – 4.30 pm & 5 – 6.30 pm
- *Thursdays 12 – 1.30 pm & 2 – 3.30 pm (Some Thursdays will be unavailable.)
- I have some non-regular flexibility outwith these times. Contact me to discuss
Lawford House Pool, Grange Road,Lawford, Manningtree CO11 2JD – by appointment
- Fridays and Saturdays, once every 4-6 weeks
- Contact me for further information.
Cost: £55 per session, bookable in advance. Payment in advance following the instructions below.
Functional Awareness is a more intensive, more targeted version of Awareness through Movement®. It has proved very usual for some of my clients who require a more personalised approach in their own home atmosphere, focused on what might be happening with them and in their moving.
I aim to support you to find a more free, satisfying and playful relationship with the world you move around in your everyday.
These sessions are preceded by a detailed conversation between us to give me an idea of the challenges you are facing and to allow us to devise a strategy.
Functional Awareness sessions are based on the process of guidance by my voice and the development of calm curiosity and somatic exploration. I bring to you the full intuitive background of a Feldenkrais practitioner to observe and offer solutions
As with Functional Integration®, I recommend that a course of 5 individual lessons be followed, as it takes time for the ‘message’ of Feldenkrais to embed itself firmly in your perceptual, cognitive and motor processes. During your programme, I encourage a process of journaling to facilitate change and energise the discussions between us.
- Session 1a: detailed conversation around your particular needs, noting any important events in your past that have affected your moving and your ambitions for your moving as we progress through a short programme of lessons. This will lead to an agreement between us about how to proceed.
- Session 1b: A short, exploratory ATM – we embark on a journey, as you tell me how it is that you sense your moving to be affected in the present moment.
- Sessions 2 to 5: specially tailored ATM explorations designed around our initial conversations.
TALK TO ME!
I am very easy to talk to, and I love introducing people to Feldenkrais®. In my experience, people come to Feldenkrais when they need it. Tell me why you are drawn to it now. There is no obligation attached to our conversation – no pressure ever!
My tel no is below. Use it!
Payment in advance please.
If you do wish to sign up, Please specify your choice of package, and if applicable the specific date you would like to attend, when you contact me to make a booking.
In the case of online classes, your block of four will commence when you sign up.
The Zoom link for online classes, and the access code for St Margarets House will be shared once payment has cleared into my bank account.
- Booking: email@example.com or tel./whatsapp 07782 190615
- Please reference bank payment [yourname]FK
- Account details: Co-op Bank – Alan G Wilson
- A/c no 04394550.
- Bank sort code 08-92-49
For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org