Just to say again how much I am loving the sessions and finding them really beneficial. As we build up the movement towards the end I just find it so ‘voluptuous’ (Strange word maybe but that’s how it feels!). All the work recently on the upper ribs and neck have really sensitised me to this area and how ‘dead’ it was before.JG, Isle of Arran, Scotland 2021
Here you can find out about the three ways you can become involved with The Feldenkrais Method® –
- Awareness Through Movement®
- Functional Awareness
- Functional Integration®.
The costs connected with each of these approaches is at the bottom of each introduction. My bank details are at the bottom of the page. All sessions are payable in advance.
AWARENESS THROUGH MOVEMENT®
Class Times – New term starting 4 September
- Tuesday Evenings 6.30 – 7.30pm starting 7 Sept
- Wednesday Mornings 11am – 12noon starting 8 Sept
- Wednesday Evenings 6.30 – 7.30pm starting 8 Sept
- Thursday Evenings 8 – 9pm starting 9 Sept
BUY A PACKAGE OF FOUR CLASSES for online classes
4 weeks @ £8 per class £32
This ticket entitles you to any class, until you have used up your four. I am an imperfect policeman, but I will try to keep tabs on your attendance.
NB: It would be great if you could try to use up your four tickets within a month (16 class times to choose from). If you like the things we do, then your continued subscription pays the rent on my work studio.
Please buy in advance of class, if you possibly can.
If you can, please let me know which class you intend to come to.
If no-one shows up with 10 mins of a class time, I will abandon the session.
When you buy your first package I will send you the Zoom link.
During a 45-60 minute ATM, guided by my voice, you spend time in a deep, personal, sensory and observational study of yourself. As the class goes on you experience the increasingly pleasing and loud presence of your own curiosity. This curiosity has been with you since the very beginning, but it gets drowned out by other kinds of voices – necessity, obligation, schedules and so on. The more you experience Feldenkrais, the more this elemental voice becomes available for you to hear once again.
Working with Alan over the last few months has been an intriguing and enriching experience. The movements take us into a heightened state of awareness of ourselves and our surroundings which we almost never experience in our chaotic lives . Alan’s dedication and passion for his work enhance the experience.GC, Bombay November 2020
IN PERSON CLASSES
Tuesday Mornings 9.30 – 10.30am at Dancebase, Edinburgh
This class is billed as a course, but we have added a drop-in possibility. If you haven’t experienced the special atmosphere of a Feldenkrais class come along and try it out. You won’t be disappointed!
FELDENKRAIS WEEKEND – FOR THOSE WHO KNOW AND THOSE WHO DON’T KNOW YET! STAYING OPEN AS THE YEAR COMES TO A CLOSE
9 & 10 OCT 2-4pm each day
£45 for two classes, £25 for one. They are designed as a pair. You will learn lots from one, but much more from two! Give it a try!
The Feldenkrais Method® is made up of deceptively simple sequences of movement that can change the way in which you understand yourself. As you lie on the floor you are guided by your teacher’s voice to explore movements of rolling, reaching, twisting and folding. The gentle and steady movements are designed to recalibrate the way your brain controls your actions. In the end they build your physical confidence, stability and focus.
Tutor: Alan Caig Wilson (member of the Feldenkrais Guild UK)
To book, email: email@example.com
whatsapp: 07782 190615
Penny Jones Pilates
Suffolk Food Hall
Ipswich IP9 2AB
When you stand up at the end of a class, it is very often the case that some deep changes have occurred. One of these changes can be felt in the re-imagining, or re-organising of your relationship to the world around you – of things, people and happenings.
and let the calm of simple curiosity descend all around you. In the quiet place, accompanied by my voice, you will discover new parts of your personal real-estate – curling, folding, opening, twisting, turning and reaching in ways that you might not have experienced since you were ever-so-young and in the process of building the knowledge of your world for the first time.
About online classes via zoom
Zoom classes started out as a necessity – a way of keeping in contact with our movement and movement teachers, as well as the chance to be taken out of ourselves for a short while. But it is becoming clear that Zoom classes in Feldenkrais are doing something that is also very profound. The broad aim of Feldenkrais’s ideas and processes is to bring you closer to a true representation of your self to yourself. For the forseeable future I will be blending online and live ATM sessions. You can check into these if, for any reason, you can’t make a live class near you.
There are situations in which it can be more beneficial to notice deep and elemental changes in your own space.
So, why not come along:
- clear a you-shaped space where you can lie on the floor, have a towel handy that can become a pad to support your head,
- wear something easy to move in,
- angle your camera so that I can see you well to enough to adapt my guidance,
FUNCTIONAL INTEGRATION® in-person
Cost: £50 per session, with a reduction of £5 per session if a package of five is booked at the outset (reduction of £25).
This is the fully-formed, one-to-one in-person technique of the The Feldenkrais Method®. During an FI® session you lie on a low, wide and long table, fully dressed in comfortable clothing as in the above techniques.
- Functional Integration® is not a medical procedure. It is an intensive process of co-learning between you and the practitioner, through which new possibilities and solutions emerge for you in your moving and thinking. My work with you is based on supporting you to develop more detailed knowledge about how your moving and thinking deal with the physical challenges you identify. Expect changes.
After an initial conversation with you concerning the pattern of needs and concerns that brought you to me in the first place, using calm and non-invasive touch, I will gently guide your body through sequences of movement. You will be fully conscious and aware of what is to happen and we will often discuss the results. Occasionally I will ask you to participate in movements.
The effect of Functional Integration® builds up over time – as with the other Feldenkrais® techniques. I recommend that you consider signing up for a minimum of five sessions, at the end of which your nervous system will have built up a store of memories that allow the insights from our sessions to fully establish in your nervous system and become useful to you. The aim is to build confidence in your resilience to the many destabilising things that the world can throw at you.
- For an excellent appraisal of the pervasive ways in which Functional Integration® operates check out the chapter on Moshe Feldenkrais’s work in the excellent book The Brain That Changes Itself by the champion of the idea of neuroplasticity, Norman Doidge M.D., https://www.normandoidge.com/?page_id=1259. It used to be thought that after the age of 21 our brain cells begin to die off and that our moving and thinking was therefore fixed and unchangeable as we aged. This has of course been totally disproved in many, many reports. Doidge outlines the excitement of discovering that your brain is near-limitless in its potential to rewire, reform and rebuild.
In many cases, people complete a ‘course’ of FI and go on to attend Awareness Through Movement® classes to continue exploring by themselves. Feldenkrais can bring about deep changes in the way that you relate both to yourself and to the world around you. You progressively give yourself permission to carry on exploring, in often quite unexpected ways.
The sessions will take place at my studio in the Meadowbank area of Edinburgh, where there is ample parking, and where I can carefully prepare a Covid-secure environment for you. I will be fully masked, my table will be freshly cleaned and my studio is well-ventilated. I have been fully vaccinated.
- Session 1a: detailed conversation around your particular needs and wishes concerning your moving being. We note any important events in your past that have affected your moving and your ambitions for your moving. This will lead to an agreement between us about how to proceed.
- Session 1b: Based on our conversation, we embark on a journey. The Method has a philosophy of progressive approximation as you and I move towards a greater sense of integration of your movement with what you wish to achieve. The process of removing restrictions and obstacle to free movement takes time, discussion, play and patience.
- Sessions 2 to 5: as your nervous system becomes familiar with the approach and the environment of FI®, the sessions become increasingly focused on the needs and concerns that brought you to me.
FUNCTIONAL AWARENESS online
Cost: £40 per session, bookable in advance. Payment in advance following the instructions below.
Like FI, these sessions focus on specific concerns you might have about your moving, that require a more focused and specific approach. There will be more time for exchange between you and I.
I aim to support you to find a more free, satisfying and playful relationship with the world you move in everyday.
These sessions are preceded by a detailed conversation between us to give me an idea of the challenges you are facing and to allow us to devise a strategy.
Functional Awareness sessions are based on the process of guidance by my voice and the development of calm curiosity and somatic exploration. I bring to you the full intuitive background of a Feldenkrais practitioner to observe and offer solutions
I recommend that a course of 5 individual lessons be followed, as it takes time for the ‘message’ of Feldenkrais to embed itself firmly in your perceptual, cognitive and motor processes. During your programme, I encourage a process of journaling to facilitate change and energise the discussions between us.
- Session 1a: detailed conversation around your particular needs, noting any important events in your past that have affected your moving and your ambitions for your moving as we progress through a short programme of lessons. This will lead to an agreement between us about how to proceed.
- Session 1b: A short, exploratory ATM – we embark on a journey, as you tell me how it is that you sense your moving to be affected in the present moment.
- Sessions 2 to 5: specially tailored ATM explorations designed around our initial conversations.
Payment in advance please.
If buying online classes, please specify your choice of package, and if applicable the specific date you would like to attend, when you contact me to make a booking.
The Zoom link will be shared once payment has cleared into my bank account.
- Booking: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel./whatsapp 07782 190615
- Please reference bank payment [yourname]FK
- Account details: Co-op Bank – Alan G Wilson
- A/c no 04394550.
- Bank sort code 08-92-49
For further information: email@example.com